Home Page

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Women and Sports

I'm at Kohl's yesterday and I happen to pass by the men's area, where they have collegiate apparel displayed. One of my favorite things about Fall/Winter is comfy warm sweatshirts, and my UNLV sweatshirt has a stain on it, so I picked up a new one. I noted that they never have this merchandise in the women's section and counted myself lucky to have taken the long way around the store. Then I remembered back to my Dallas Cowboys apparel catalog and how small the women's section was, and how many of the items for sale came in... gasp... pink and white. Pink and white??? Last I checked there isn't a single NFL team whose colors are freakin' pink and white. Is anyone really buying this stuff? There's no way in hell you'd catch me in a pink and white Cowboys shirt.

Seriously, ladies, am I by myself here? Are there that few women who actually love sports?

Speaking of being a sports fan, I'll tell you what my tattoo is. It's a beautiful blue and white Dallas Cowboy star. :)

10 comments:

Teri said...

There is no way you would catch me in a pink and white Cowboys shirt either :)

I can't agree with you on this one.. I really am not a sports fan at all. I actually count down until football season is over. I am sorry to dissapoint you.

Cupcake Blonde said...

When it comes to the teams I care about (Patriots, Red Sox) I like my shirts and hats to have the normal team colors. But I must admit when we went in to the team store at Cashman and I saw a 51s pink and white jersey I thought, hey that's cute.

But I didn't buy it...

Martin said...

I really was thinking it was a pumpkin.

Martin said...

Oh, and for some reason, I think they underestimate the passion some women have for their teams and a cutesy color isn't going to increase that. Very sad. You are also right that they tend to put the sports items closer to the menswear than women's clothing.

Ken said...

Now, I just saw a commercial during the farce called the Bills/Patriots game about a whole new line of NFL clothes for women. In fact, I was just on the NFL.com site and there is a slew of women's apparel in normal colors.

LoraLoo said...

Teri - LOL on the Cowboys shirt.

VP: I suppose there has to be a certain girlie factor to find them appealing. I'm just not girlie enough.

Martin: A pumpkin - that literally made me LOL.

Ken: Good, that means someone is paying attention! We're a highly lucrative market to be ignored.

Bar L. said...

I am not a huge sports fan but I have several friends that are die-hard fans of various sports (Yankees, Lakers, Ducks). I think its insulting to women AND to the teams that they would have apparel in any color other than the team colors! HELLO? That's just lame.

Now lets see a pic of the tattoo!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a sports fan myself, but if I was I don't think I would buy a pink & white team jersey.

Part of me thinks it's a cute idea for young kids/pre-teens but not for adult woman.

The other part of me thinks it's insulting. After all you don't see mens team jerseys in baby blue & white.

LoraLoo said...

Barbara: I will definitely get a picture up once it heals. :)

Molie: Agreed - personally I think the whole pink/white thing is insulting. Maybe the baby onesies or something... but I wonder what any guy would think to open a gift of say, a Green Bay Packers shirt, in baby blue and white? LOL

Nik said...

Being a sports nut, I can't tell you how annoying the women's line is. I just buy the men's stuff and don't even bother with the women's section. It's not just pink stuff that bothers me. Several stores around here have completely altered all the teams colors to be more "feminine". I'm sorry but I won't wear a purple, skimpy Red Wings shirt. It's good to see that there are others out there who feel the same way about this.
Now, as for the tat, you gotta post a pic of it.