Home Page

Monday, April 11, 2005

Where's the Easy Button?

My husband's grandfather died last week. It was sudden and totally unexpected. The easy button would sure come in handy right about now. Karl was really close to him. It was his Mom's Dad, and she's really wigged out right now too, even though she has to be one of the most stoic people I've ever met. But what worries my mother-in-law most was Grandpa Nick's wife. He left behind a wife whom he spent all of his time with; they were both retired and enjoying their well-earned relaxed lifestyle together. Made me think of life without Karl; what would I do, how would I react, and could I cope? Yes, life goes on, and you really don't have a choice but to keep moving forward. But I just can't even fathom it. Not having that one person there every day - that one person you are moving forward through life with. Just gone, forever. Nope, just can't wrap my head around it.

3 comments:

Martin said...

And you shouldn't be thinking about it because it takes time away from enjoying what you both have together. B) It's not easy being a couple. You hear about how some are so close that after one dies the other just slips away quietly to join their partner. My heart goes out to both of you at this time.

Teri said...

I am so sorry to hear about Karl's Grandfather. My husbands grandma just passed away a few weeks ago, but his family is so dysfunctional that nobody called anyone, they just posted it on a family website and expected that everyone would read about it eventually. The lose of a spouse would be so horrible and something so difficult that I too can't and don't even want to fathom it. I have a friend who lost a 2 year old son a few years back and I think how does she go on living?

LoraLoo said...

Thanks guys. Karl just left for the funeral - I'm home with Madison because it's going to be a one day driving marathon, and we decided not to put her through it. I can't get back to sleep, so it's me and our coffee pot this morning!