Home Page

Monday, April 13, 2009

I thought I broke my crazy guy beacon

I was on my own for lunch today... so I decided to grab a low-carb chicken club over at Carl's Jr. and head back to the office. As I was waiting for my sandwich, a homeless man walks in and orders something to eat. He turns, spots me, and stops. He begins to stare... and stare... he had to do that for at least a solid minute, from about 5 feet away. He moves to get his drink, glances at me again, and mumbles something. I'm panicking just a little - during my short work experience at Wendy's when I was 16, I'd had food thrown at me more than once by homeless people (yeah, it was a great neighborhood, LOL). Since I'm not reacting at all, he goes to sit down. The manager starts watching him, cause he beginning mumbling to others on his way to the dining room, but he sits by the only open exit. Damn. As I walk by to leave, he starts talking to me, but I can't understand what he's saying - so he starts talking louder, as if I can't hear him. Just.a.few.feet from the door! Almost free! He's still calling after me, but I get outside. Man, that was strangely very stressful.

7 comments:

Fred said...

I;d be pretty freaked out, too. And to think, in the 14 years I worked at Burger King, I never once had food thrown at me.

Cupcake Blonde said...

That would freak me out. I seem to attract homeless people. I think I look approachable or something. Or maybe I look crazy.

Jen said...

Maybe you reminded him of someone and that's why he singled you out and was staring at you like that.

I feel kind of bad for the guy.

Nik said...

Eeeh, not sure how I woulda reacted to this. It's kinda creepy, but I think I'd be compelled to say something to him.

Randy said...

He wanted the NOOKIE!! He saw you and immediately recognized your HWMD status and was overwhelmed.

Bar L. said...

Very awkward situation...you never know what people will do, I am glad you're ok.

jiggins said...

Fred.. You worked at The BK Lounge for 14 years?

..and yeah I have had that issue before.. homeless people talking to me. Strange, but it happens. I just go with it and keep moving. Usually it is just a call for some sort of attention, so I give what I can to it. I know though, strange situations sometimes.


VW:"Station"