Home Page

Monday, April 07, 2008

Uh Oh, I'm On Benadryl Again

I've been kinda puffy in the eyes and sniffly all day... things are blooming again. As I walked tonight I was pretty deep in thought and concentrating on the music (as well as trying not to trip, as always, heh). As I turned the corner to a fairly main street I couldn't help but be distracted by it: little white puffs of cottonwood floating through the streetlights like snowflakes, and directly in my path. Cottonwood, in the desert? Apparently there is a variety called the Fremont Cottonwood that is native to California, Utah and Arizona. All I know is that my sinuses are pretty pissed about it.

I recall a conversation I had with my doctor more than ten years ago about my allergies. I'd asked her to do that painful allergen test to tell me what I'm allergic to. She told me it was a waste of time for two major reasons: no matter what I'm allergic to, anything green within a ten mile radius of wherever I am at any given time is going to give me problems. Also, Las Vegas really isn't home to much greenery (duh, right?). So all this vegetation people have brought in to make areas beautiful aren't native to the desert, which affects the ecosystem here, to include the onset or inflammation of allergies to the people who live here. We've actually gotten a little smarter with the drought situation - when I was a little girl, everyone had lush, green grass, and it seems everyone also had olive trees, mulberry trees and oleanders. Not so much of that anymore, but the city has still grown exponentially since I was that little girl... so inevitably, still more vegetation that doesn't belong.

Wow, that was quite the Benadryl inflicted post, eh? :) I'll try to be more exciting tomorrow...

6 comments:

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Oh, you poor thing ...

Fortunately, I don't seem to be affected by pollen and stuff like that, and don't think I've ever had hayfever or other allergies ... yay !!

Hope you get better soon, don't OD on the Benadryl LOL

Take care, Meow

Sheena said...

feel better! allergies are horrible here, there's so many wildflowers and orchards and weeds, it's insane. All 3 of us suffer at some point during the year.

Ken said...

Allergies suck. No two words about it. I went through those allergy tests when I was 8 and they are painful. Asking an 8 year old to sit still while their arms are itching is no fun at all.

If they get really bad, Zyrtec is available over the counter now. It's a little pricier, but works great with minimal drowsiness.

Angi said...

2 of the house we lived in in Vegas had olive tress (one we rented, the other we bought) the 1st one was a pain - those little black things everywhwre which I hear can be poisionious - then in the house we bought it hardly produced any and we found out that it was because you can have them sprayed (around apr-may) so they don't produce. Never knew that, but I heard that if sprayed it reduced a lot of allergy problems with them. I don't know. Never had allergies before, til now.... it's spring and who knows what's causing it my my eyes are watering and my nose running. Never had that in Vegas......oh and Benedryl doesn't work. Thinking about Zyrtec maybe but $30 OTC? Crazy!

Cupcake Blonde said...

Thought moving to the desert would cure me of all my allergy ails. Turns out exactly what you described above is what has caused me to have the worst allergy problems I have even had in my entire life. Every January thru April I get really really sick, like clockwork. Really getting tired of it actually.

Anonymous said...

On a quick glance I thought the subject line read "uh oh, I'm all bendy again" :)