Home Page

Friday, July 07, 2006

Don't Buy GE Appliances

And I'll tell you why. Back in February, Karl and I bought a new front-loading washer and dryer set. From delivery the LED on the dryer didn't work properly; I wasn't stressed, because the dryer worked and I figured when I could I'd call it in for repair. So about a month ago, I called because the dryer was making a funny noise. We'd bought an extended warranty at Best Buy; they told me we'd have to use the manufacterer warranty for the first year then they'd pick it up, but they were more than happy to schedule the repair. The GE guy came out and told me he'd have to order the LED screen replacement and would tighten something inside when he did that to get rid of the noise I was hearing. He told me he'd be here the following Thursday unless the part didn't come in, and he'd call if it didn't. So I waited the following week, and he never showed. I called GE, who told me he'd closed the ticket and stated the work was already done. What the ^%$#?! So I rescheduled a NEW repair for the following week. The next week I waited - and almost three hours into my wait window, I got a call telling me that 1) my repair guy is out sick and 2) my part isn't in, and it's backordered indefinitely. WHAT!? So I've taken 13 hours off from work in 3 weeks and my dryer still isn't fixed, and you don't know when? When I expressed my frustration to the GE person on the phone, he replied "Uh, Yeah?" Not an "I'm sorry for your inconvenience" - but "Uh, Yeah?"

AAAAAUGGGGGGHHHHHH!

So I called Best Buy. I explained what I've been through the last month and let them know I still have no idea when my brand new, $900 dryer will be fixed. THEY were apologetic, and are recommending we receive a replacement dryer. The guy I talked to said it has to go through the channels in his department for the next 3-5 days to ensure the part is indeed on galactic backorder and I didn't just get the runaround, but they will call me and give me status.

It's really too bad Best Buy doesn't handle your purchase from day one. I've always had a good experience with them when purchasing extended warranties. At least they were helpful even though the manufacturer is responsible for the first year... but I will never, I repeat never, purchase a GE appliance ever again. I hope you all tell 10 of your closest friends about this, too.

1 comment:

Martin said...

I'm feeling really bad right now because I can see my favorite television chef Alton Brown is on the index page of their official website http://www.geappliances.com/

I do agree with you about Best Buy though. I put them second on my list for purchasing electronic items (meaning that I have to check CostCo first.)