Home Page

Monday, March 21, 2005

Siriusly, I Love My Satellite Radio

A couple of years ago my friend Bryan began subscribing to Sirius satellite radio. My first response was, "Why would I pay for radio?!" Then I had to opportunity to listen to it quite a bit riding around in his truck. I was instantly addicted. There was so much to choose from! There were no commercials! I kept saying aloud - "Oh man, I love that song!" That was it, I had to have it. No regrets - I haven't listened to commercial radio for almost two years, and I don't mind the 12.95 I pay every month. I don't miss the ridiculous morning babble, the same songs being played over and over, and most of all - NO COMMERCIALS. I even have a receiver in the house now, so I'm never far away from my favorite stations.

I have 24 stations preset, and there are four or five favorites. Of course there's an 80's station, but even better - a station called "1st Wave". It plays the best of the best from 80's alternative. There's a familiar voice on the radio, as well... Freddie Snakeskin, a DJ from Vegas' past is spinning tunes every day from New York. He has a show every Sunday night called "Dark Wave" that features artists like Bauhaus, Joy Division, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure, Public Image Ltd, just to name a few. Fred Schneider from the B-52's has a show every Friday night where he plays from his own collection.

I'll never listen to local radio ever again. http://www.sirius.com

4 comments:

Martin said...

I have actually been thinking about getting Sirius. I have several friends that have XM and love it but... XM doesn't have a deal with the NFL. I've also heard that you can hear your local stations and continue to listen to them as you go out of town in better quality than we are used to. Heck, I might just get Sirius for my birthday. Man, I can't remember the last time I heard Freddie Snakeskin.

LoraLoo said...

I think Sirius has many more choices for content, whether it's news, comedy or choices in music genres. (Good point about the NFL deal too.) I forgot to mention Dusty Street is on the 1st Wave station as well. I think she was really big in LA before Vegas just as Freddie was?

Teri said...

Yes, Freddie and Dusty both were DJ's on KROQ in LA. I was lucky enough to hear them back then because I grew up in LA.
I have XM radio and I think it is worth every penny not just for the variety but to not hear the commercials.

LoraLoo said...

Teri, you're actually the first person who's told me they liked XM. There's got to be millions of others just like you; their stock is somewhere around $29/share whereas Sirius is only around $6/share.