Home Page

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are

I took Madison to see "Where the Wild Things Are" today. It was my favorite childhood story, and I've been reading it to Madison since she was about two years old, so we were both pretty excited to see it.

I was told several times in the last week that the movie isn't so much a kid's film. I don't agree, entirely. Realistically, the book doesn't have many words - much is left to your own imagination, and that's part of the beauty of the story. Spike Jonze was going to have to make quite an adaptation to stretch this book for more than half an hour, and I love what he did with the story. He added some real world elements to tell us more about Max; he's got a sister and a single Mom, who both have their own stories as well, and it gives some solid background and character development. After seeing the film, I can see where parents with very small children (i.e., under the age of 4 or 5) would not want to take their kids to see it. The movie is almost two hours long and the real-world situations might be a bit confusing. I'm sure there were some lessons missed by Madison, i.e. the parallels between Carol and Max. However, it kept her interested the entire film and she was quite sympathetic to the situations between Max and his Mom, as well as what was happening between the monsters.

This movie made me all teary-eyed at the end, I'll fess up. I adore Spike Jonze's interpretation of this beloved children's story, and by all means... go see it!!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

The trailers for this movie scared me. The monsters reminded me too much of the Dark Crystal characters. I don't think I can see it. I never did like the book as a kid either. Weird because everyone always raves about it. I never saw the appeal.

Anonymous said...

Where the Wild Things Are movie is a fantasy and dramatic movie... Misunderstood at home and at school, mischievous Max escapes to a land populated by majestic .The Wild Things allow Max to become their leader, and he promises to create a kingdom where everyone will be happy. From this site you can also Watch Where the Wild Things Are movie in just few minutes.

Bar L. said...

I've always loved the book too and read it to Kev. The illustrations are amazing. I hope to see the movie when Wyatt comes to visit next month!

Fred said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I've got a backlog of DVDs that we were supposed to see this summer...I hope to see them before next summer.