Home Page

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What's In My Head

I just finished drawing a network diagram, and I'm just mentally exhausted... I loathe doing these things, but alas... sometimes they are necessary.

I had to draw this diagram for a technical audit I'm preparing for. I managed to stall it until next Monday (Yay!), but half of me is wondering why I don't just get it over with. Oh yeah... I have other work scheduled. BUT, as I said to someone earlier today, at least I'm still employed!

The doctor gave me new contacts for my eyes yesterday, she was not happy at how the former set were sitting on my eyes, and I did horribly on an eye chart after having them in for 7 hours. These are not as flexible but they actually feel better in my eyes. Go figure. I also ordered new lenses for my glasses so that I'll have options. Besides, it's the first pair of glasses I've had that I actually love, I really don't want to retire them!

The governor has announced major insurance benefit cuts and rate increases for State employees. I read we're supposed to find out sometime between September and November. Ya know, I can sleep at night knowing *I* didn't vote for this baffoon. I can't help but wonder why I don't see the same depressing news about County or City employees. Are they suffering too because of the bad economy and it's just staying out of the news - or do they have leadership more capable of taking them through hard times?

On a much more positive note - I'm signing Maddy up for that gymnastics class. I found out today it's actually done AT school, they just come in and take those participating students to another area of the preschool to work with them every week, and then they put on a big show once a year. The coach used to perform in the Cirque Du Soleil, I'm so excited! I think Maddy will love it being in a place she is so comfortable with. I was a little worried about that.

Oh! I got to see Dark Knight. I loved, loved, loved this movie. I can't decide if I like Batman Begins or Dark Knight better? I won't say much about it as I don't want to give anything away... but that movie was awesome from beginning to end. Michael Keaton did a pretty good Batman back in the 80's (that was late 80's, right?) but Christian Bale is, in my opinion, the best Batman of all. We saw it in an IMAX theatre, and it was my first experience, and it rocked - although expensive. I don't think I'll do that too often, as tickets were $30 for two tickets. If you haven't seen a movie in IMAX yet - do it once to at least get the experience. It's different from IMAX of the late 80's - we used to have one at Caesar's Palace and it was cool, but this is new and improved. I could go on and on about Batman and the different movies with and since Tim Burton's vision of the comic...I really dig superhero movies.

4 comments:

Nik said...

No idea what a network diagram entails, but it's sounds brutal! Kudos on getting it done and your audit will go great.
Good thinkin on the keeping the glasses. I know a few people who regret ditching their frames when they got contacts. Sucks about your gov's cuts, seems to be happening alot lately. That's too cool about the upcoming gymnastics class. I can't wait to hear how it goes. I sooooo wanna see Dark Knight, but having to go 3 weeks w/ no paycheck has put a damper on pretty much anything for me. I hope it's still showing when I get paid. lol

skyblot said...

Agh, the pain of working for the State is that you're first in line to get tied up with red tape.

Bar L. said...

wow...mentally challenging for sure.
I hope to see the Dark Knight one of these days but I usually don't get to the movies!

I am glad your dr. is taking good care of your eyes...contacts ROCK.

Ken said...

Yuck. Network diagrams suck. But always better to have documentation.

In terms of the benefits stuff, that sucks. I've worked for companies that changed contributions to benefits mid-year for the financial health of the company. This is why people should pay more attention to politics. While Government jobs have better benefits than the private sector, you need to pay attention to much more than just the top dog races. But, part of the problem is our lame legislators that don't show any leadership either. Damned if you do, damed if you don't.