Home Page

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Weekend Update

A highly productive weekend in our house. We managed to clean house, enjoy a last-minute visit with one of Madison's great grandmothers (from Karl's side), do all the shopping and enjoy lots of playtime with Madison.

We had a language lesson or two from Madison this weekend. English slang is a big part of our everyday language. Think for a minute about everything you might say during your day that isn't a swear word by any means, but wouldn't be found in an English textbook. Karl and I were having a conversation in the car this afternoon and for whatever reason I said to Karl "Oh, my bad." From the backseat, I hear it repeated verbatim. Yikes. That's one small example of many that happen all the time lately. Sure, she's not swearing, as we are very good about keeping those words to ourselves; I know she is going to pick up slang in school at some point, but I don't want to be the responsible party for it at age 2. We're going to have to be at our English best for awhile.

Are you ready for some football?! My Cowboys lost today but I'm still hopeful for a good season...

I hope you all had a great weekend!

8 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

That reminds me of a time I said in front of the kids I was baby-sitting "No Way!" (with the correct emphasis) and they ran around all day imitating me going "No way! No way" When their mom came home she laughed and taught them the response of "Way!"

Distant Timbers Echo said...

Yeah, crossing cultures gets very interesting quick. My German cousins came out a few years ago and it was hell.

Loved to see them! Haha! But it WAS HELL!!!!!!

Love ya.
Jas...

Undercover Angel said...

It sounds like you've had a busy weekend. I managed to get some cleaning done myself.

We use a lot of slang around our house. I have to stop doing that though if I ever want my children to use proper English.

Ken said...

How cute. This is something I'm becoming more and more in tune with since a lot of our friends have little kids. I also need to work on reducing my cursing...

Fred said...

Your Cowboys lost, and my Bucs looked horrible. But, it was football. And, tonight there's a doubleheader. What fun!

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Kids are like little sponges ... they soak in everything !! It can be really amusing, but also really embarrassing when they repeat something inappropriately !!!
Have a great week.
Take care, Meow

BeckEye said...

I'm so ready for football season. My Steelers won the first game of the year. And without the starting QB. Hopefully Big Ben will be in this week.

Martin said...

At least your team scored. B) hahaha As for Maddy, I'll be interesting to see what words and phrases stick.