Home Page

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Sunday Rant

This is a picture taken about one month ago at daycare. They happily reported how sweet and cooperative she was with the whole experience. I asked if they were sure it was MY child, because whenever I take her for pictures, she acts as though I've taken her to the dentist.

Speaking of children - a top story in Vegas for the last few days is about a toddler (approx. 3 years old) who was murdered and left in a trash dumpster. Although I have worked in a child and family agency for many years and feel like I've seen it all, this story angers me and breaks my heart all at the same time. How does someone do this to an innocent child? And how does no one know anything about her? She was never reported missing and no one has come forward with information about her identity. She wasn't left in a tourist area, so I don't believe she was from out of town. It's just so beyond my understanding.

I need to end on a brighter note... Someone at work told me she thought I was about 25. I wanted to hug her! It's definitely the way to get on my high priority list when your computer has problems.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

...about a toddler (approx. 3 years old) who was murdered and left in a trash dumpster Adults should be the ones to guide these children to the right path through life, I never thought this kind of hideous act is possible. This entry is very similar to my second to the latest entry "Preschool Expulsion on the Rise".

I am a newbie in your blog, am I also welcome here? *wink. I am a teacher in Washington DC.

BeckEye said...

How cuuuuute!! I wish I could go back to wearing groovy patterned pants like that.

Hey, the Steelers are chugging along! Thanks for being a diplomat and not hexing them. :)

New White Keds said...

To say that the toddler finding is beyond heinous would be an understatement. How can some one fdo that? You look at children like Madison and have to question the sanity of some one who could exterminate one as if it were an insect, left for naught. Sad. Indeed, very sad. On the other hand... Madison is adorable, healthy and in the arms of a very happy and successful mommy!

Ken said...

Yeah. Amy and I were talking about that toddler. Just horrible. If you don't have the means to take care of a child, there are plenty of folks looking to give them a loving home.

I agree w/Amy. Madison is very cute.

Bar L. said...

What a darling pic! It's so true, kids behave totally different for their parents.

The story about the toddler is tragic. About ten years ago a toddler was murdered very close to my home. His murderer was never found but the mother and step father were the suspects. To this day I feel sick every time I drive by that apartment complex.

You do look 25! ;)

Teri said...

I am so upset about that poor baby! The fact that no one has even reported her missing makes me think it has to be the parents or someone close to the family.

Madison is so cute!!!!

Fred said...

Nice picture, Lora. My middle one was the same. Whenever it was time for a picture, she cried. And cried.

Tragic story. It's unbelievable what people are capable of.

Martin said...

Great photo! Damn, she's growing up (I've stopped saying 'getting big' because weight-conscious people might think I'm saying something else.) Yes, that story just turns my stomach. I hope they find the parents. You would think that a family, that has daycare or deducts their child on their taxes, that suddenly stops would throw up a red flag.

Nik said...

Haven't been around much lately, but just stopped by and had to say your daughter is so adorable! That is such a cute picture.