Home Page

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Nascar Girlies!

My husband is a serious Nascar fan. Don't worry, I knew this before we got married. :) I watch it by default... it's not that bad. I'm a football fan, myself. Born and raised a Cowboy fan. (Don't throw tomatoes!) Anyway, I was pondering something this evening while I watched hours of useless filler on TV. They waited for the rain to stop in Daytona, then they took what seemed a whole work day to dry the track so these guys could race. Just why in the hell don't they race in the rain? Safety doesn't sound right; plenty of other motorsports run in the rain. Indy cars run in the rain; they're faster and more dangerous. Do they make rain tires for these cars? No... but why? The only answer I can come up with? They're to prissy. You wouldn't see some silly rainstorm stop a football game (or a snowstorm for that matter). Those men get out there in the elements wearing nothing but those tights and a jersey and run their asses off.

I'll agree that it's not as easy as it looks to be a racecar driver. It's hot, and extremely tense... there's a real danger element and a lot depends on what could be idiot drivers surrounding you. I'd still rather watch an offensive line ready to snap. ;)

9 comments:

Moose said...

I’m going to sound like I know something here, but just take it for what it’s worth. I don’t think Indy cars run in the rain. Formula cars do, but I don’t know how many more of those we are going to see after what happened here a couple weeks ago. I think the problem is the speed. If they run in rain, they can’t go as fast, and that = fewer people interested. But I don’t really know much. I’ve been trying to find something ever since the NHL messed me over, and it looks like they are going to try it again this year.

LoraLoo said...

Ah...see, I didn't know Indy cars don't run in the rain! I guess I can see the speed factor. It would be boring if they all drove 70mph. I drive faster than that every day!

Teri said...

Please don't hate me, but I do not enjoy watching cars going fast go around in circles. To be honest I am just not a sports fan. Lloyd has been trying for years to get me into football, but I just can't force myself to even sit through a whole game. (Ducking from the tomatoes myself :)

Teri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
An80sNut said...

I see a lot of racing at work and although my interest is very light, I have issues with how someone can pull into a pit and return to the race and someone can figure out how many laps down they've become. Very weird.

I can see some of their water rules seeing that cars can be dangerous and course records could change depending on how the weather is.

Vavoom said...

I'm not as keen as watching Nascar as I would be driving one of those kick ass cars. Vavrooom... Vavrrroooommmm!

LoraLoo said...

Moose: I found out Indy does run in the rain, but only on road courses. They don't on oval tracks... you are correct, F-1 cars do run in the rain at any time.

Teri: Trust me, I NEVER watched a racing event before meeting Karl. I sort of got sucked in to the excitemet going with him to the local tracks. As for Nascar, I still only watch the first few laps and the last few laps. The middle is pretty boring.

Martin: I agree... this is the same sport where they have the "superbowl" at the start of the season. Whatever!

Vavoom: If you ever have the chance to do the Richard Petty Driving Experience, do it. It's really exciting, no matter how little you like Nascar.

An80sNut said...

I watch it at work on Sundays when it's on during lunch. I hate to admit it but I hope for accidents (because a majority of them don't harm anything but the car.)

Jas... said...

well, Lora, NBA players sit out if they have a splinter in their finger, so there you go. The more an athlete is paid, the less they'll tolerate.
:)
Jas...