Home Page

Saturday, June 25, 2005

My Little Junebug is Not Flying Today

Well Mom left today - her visit was fair, overall. I wish she would have spent more time with Madison, but you can't have everything. My stepfather wanted to spend some time on "vacation" which put my Mom in a hard spot, although she could have done things a lot differently. Stepparents can really throw a strange angle on family relationships. I didn't gain stepparents until I was in my mid 20's, so I really don't have close ties to either extended family. I don't know that I've had more than one hour of conversation with my stepfather in the last 8 years.

Madison is very sick. The doctors say she has a stomach flu, and I'm hoping that's all it is, but she's not eaten anything solid since Thursday night. We finally forced fluids into her this evening (and by forcing I mean it), after we took her back to the doctor today and they unsuccessfully attempted an IV for fluids. They poked my poor child four times without success (apparently her dehydration made the veins hard to get to). I had to leave the room - I couldn't stop crying and the nurse thought I was going to pass out. For those of you who haven't seen an infant or toddler recieve an IV or have blood drawn - I hope you never have to. They told us if she didn't get adequate fluids tonight, we'd have to take her to the hospital. So they could poke holes in her again? No way... we made it happen, even if we thoroughly pissed her off. If she's still not eating or drinking on her own tomorrow we'll have to take her in anyway, but at least she won't have all the trauma in one day. Hopefully she'll wake up tomorrow and be my happy, energetic child again, and we won't have to worry about it.

2 comments:

Martin said...

Hope she gets better soon hon. The hardest thing to do is watch your child go through pain especially when necessary. Keep strong. B)

*s* said...

awww. poor baby! I hope she's feeling better really soon. ya'll are in my thoughts. Get Better Madison!!!